Te Araroa Trail Itinerary Mine was a leisurely thru-hike and below is my Te Araroa Trail itinerary. Click the links in red to view day by day or start with Day 1 on the blog…
Category: New Zealand – Te Araroa Trail
New Zealand – Te Araroa Trail
Te Araroa Trail Planning
Route, Gear, Food and Training - Te Araroa Trail Planning I did a lot of reading, research, preparation and planning for my Te Araroa trail hike 2017/18 season. I love preparing for a trip (any…
Ten Te Araroa Trail Truths
Ten Te Araroa Trail Truths
1. Where there are no sandflies, there are mosquitoes.
2. There will be a river crossing (and wet feet) ten mins after you set off in the morning and ten mins before arriving at camp for the night.
3. Where there is a shortcut, there will be thorny bushes.
4. The ‘flat’ part of the trail will hide large ruts, holes, bogs, streams or boulders.
5. Injuries will only be sustained on the ‘easy’ sections, tripping over your own feet or checking your phone.
6. If your camp has a toilet, you will need to go approximately 15 mins after hitting the trail that day.
7. You haven’t washed properly for weeks, but your skin looks amazing.
8. When you skinnydip in a river, four more TA hikers will arrive at that very moment.
9. Mice are rampant in the hut where you forgot to hang up your food bag.
10. You’ll find that the luxury lodge offers cheap camping & free hot tubs, the day after you wild camped next to it.
Te Araroa Trail 2017/18 – Homeward bound today…
It took a few months to walk from the Waikato to Canterbury, and it’ll take 1.5 hrs to fly back. It’s a sunny day ?? so I’m hoping for some great views of the mountains!
The end of an adventure is bittersweet. I’ll miss life on the trail, and my buddies Mike and Phil, as they carry on their journeys – but I’m super excited to spend my birthday with my friends this weekend!
I’ll be checking out these tips from adventurer Anna McNuff on how to handle the next few weeks, and the post-adventure blues.
Te Araroa Trail Day 140. Camp Stream hut 2388.9kms – Lake Tekapo 2423kms
Te Araroa Trail - Final Day Today was the final day of my Te Araroa Trail thru-hike! We all woke around 6.30 am this morning at Camp Stream hut. Laura was off first, heading NOBO…
Te Araroa Trail Day 139. Forest Creek track – Felt hut – Camp Stream hut 2388.9kms
Te Araroa Trail - Forest Creek Track to Camp Stream Hut I had a great night sleep and woke up bright and breezy at 6am. We got going at 7.30a m and immediately had a…
Te Araroa Trail Day 138. Mesopotamia Station – Bush Stream track – Forest Creek track – Felt hut – Off trail
Te Araroa Trail Forest Creek Track (off trail) We spent a wonderful night in the excellent accommodation at Mesopotamia Station. I spent the first couple of hours after lights out, sleeping on the sofa in…
Te Araroa Trail Day 137. Comyns hut 2295.8kms – Rangitata River – Mesopotamia Station – Off trail
Te Arararoa Trail - Comyns Hut to Mesopotamia Station We woke up today at 6.15 am to a really cold this morning!! We enjoyed a sachet of mocha coffee with breakfast which I added a…