Ten Te Araroa Trail Truths
1. Where there are no sandflies, there are mosquitoes.
2. There will be a river crossing (and wet feet) ten mins after you set off in the morning and ten mins before arriving at camp for the night.
3. Where there is a shortcut, there will be thorny bushes.
4. The ‘flat’ part of the trail will hide large ruts, holes, bogs, streams or boulders.
5. Injuries will only be sustained on the ‘easy’ sections, tripping over your own feet or checking your phone.
6. If your camp has a toilet, you will need to go approximately 15 mins after hitting the trail that day.
7. You haven’t washed properly for weeks, but your skin looks amazing.
8. When you skinnydip in a river, four more TA hikers will arrive at that very moment.
9. Mice are rampant in the hut where you forgot to hang up your food bag.
10. You’ll find that the luxury lodge offers cheap camping & free hot tubs, the day after you wild camped next to it.
It took a few months to walk from the Waikato to Canterbury, and it’ll take 1.5 hrs to fly back. It’s a sunny day ?? so I’m hoping for some great views of the mountains!
The end of an adventure is bittersweet. I’ll miss life on the trail, and my buddies Mike and Phil, as they carry on their journeys – but I’m super excited to spend my birthday with my friends this weekend!
I’ll be checking out these tips from adventurer Anna McNuff on how to handle the next few weeks, and the post-adventure blues.
Te Araroa Trail - Final Day Today was the final day of my Te Araroa Trail thru-hike! We all woke around 6.30 am this morning at Camp Stream hut. Laura was off first, heading NOBO…
Te Araroa Trail - Forest Creek Track to Camp Stream Hut I had a great night sleep and woke up bright and breezy at 6am. We got going at 7.30a m and immediately had a…
Te Araroa Trail Forest Creek Track (off trail) We spent a wonderful night in the excellent accommodation at Mesopotamia Station. I spent the first couple of hours after lights out, sleeping on the sofa in…
Te Arararoa Trail - Comyns Hut to Mesopotamia Station We woke up today at 6.15 am to a really cold this morning!! We enjoyed a sachet of mocha coffee with breakfast which I added a…
Te Araroa Trail - Methven to Comyns Hut We got up at 5 am for a quick brekkie, and we left the Blue pub in Methven at 5.45 am to get the school bus to…
Te Araroa Trail Hamilton Hut to Lake Coleridge I had probably the best night's sleep I've ever had in a hut last night! Even though there were about 15 people, there were no snorers and…
Te Araroa Trail Bealey to Hamilton Hut We woke up around 7 am and got ourselves together. Bill from The Sanctuary gave us a lift to the Cora Lynn Road junction for a small fee.…
Te Araroa Trail - Avalanche Peak (Off Trail) Whilst Phil was slogging it out on the Mingha Deception/Goat Pass route, Mike and I had a leisurely morning. I got up at 8.30 am, then we…