Te Araroa Trail Itinerary Mine was a leisurely thru-hike and below is my Te Araroa Trail itinerary. Click the links in red to view day by day or start with Day 1 on the blog…
Category: Gear, Tips & Resources
Gear, Tips & Resources
Te Araroa Trail Planning
Route, Gear, Food and Training - Te Araroa Trail Planning I did a lot of reading, research, preparation and planning for my Te Araroa trail hike 2017/18 season. I love preparing for a trip (any…
Ten Te Araroa Trail Truths
Ten Te Araroa Trail Truths
1. Where there are no sandflies, there are mosquitoes.
2. There will be a river crossing (and wet feet) ten mins after you set off in the morning and ten mins before arriving at camp for the night.
3. Where there is a shortcut, there will be thorny bushes.
4. The ‘flat’ part of the trail will hide large ruts, holes, bogs, streams or boulders.
5. Injuries will only be sustained on the ‘easy’ sections, tripping over your own feet or checking your phone.
6. If your camp has a toilet, you will need to go approximately 15 mins after hitting the trail that day.
7. You haven’t washed properly for weeks, but your skin looks amazing.
8. When you skinnydip in a river, four more TA hikers will arrive at that very moment.
9. Mice are rampant in the hut where you forgot to hang up your food bag.
10. You’ll find that the luxury lodge offers cheap camping & free hot tubs, the day after you wild camped next to it.
Te Araroa Trail 2017/18 – Homeward bound today…
It took a few months to walk from the Waikato to Canterbury, and it’ll take 1.5 hrs to fly back. It’s a sunny day ?? so I’m hoping for some great views of the mountains!
The end of an adventure is bittersweet. I’ll miss life on the trail, and my buddies Mike and Phil, as they carry on their journeys – but I’m super excited to spend my birthday with my friends this weekend!
I’ll be checking out these tips from adventurer Anna McNuff on how to handle the next few weeks, and the post-adventure blues.
Te Araroa Trail Camp Routine
Te Araroa Trail Camp Routine In case you were wondering how the domestic side of things go on the trail, for the times when I'm wild camping this is my general routine: Evening: Find find…
Te Araroa Gear – Shoes
Te Araroa Trail Shoes It's decided! - I will be starting Te Araroa with my lightest Merrell trail runners (on the far right) and I will see how they survive 90 mile beach & the…
Reliance on Technology?
After reading this timely reminder from Outside Online magazine, I'll definitely be taking paper maps on Te Araroa trail too! Does our reliance on technology makes the backcountry more dangerous? Share your comments below.
Testing My Camping Gear – First Overnight Hike
Testing my camping gear on an overnight hike My second gear test for Te Araroa Trail took me further afield than my garden, for a hike and overnight stay in Rotorua. My goals were to:…