Hi folks, just a quick one with details of my daily route and gear list for the South West Coast Path. This is 1013km (630 miles) of wonderful hiking along the UK's longest national trail.
The gear list is a little different to my gear for Te Araroa trail New Zealand. Main differences as follows:
Pack: Osprey Eja 45 litre replaced my Lowe Alpine 45-55 litre pack. The Osprey was lighter and much more comfortable, and had heaps of room for all my gear. I would have been more than OK with...
Today's distance walked - approx 21 kms (13.8 miles).
Ascent - approx 1100m (3608 ft).
I woke up today at 5.30am after a restless night. My bed was really comfortable, but my room was hot and there was a lot of traffic noise, which I'm not used to, and it took me a really long time to get to sleep.
I ate some biscuits and took another tablet for my knee. At 8.15 I went down to eat a hefty full English breakfast, complete with black pudding, after which I took it easy getting myself...
Te Araroa Trail Gear List
Below is my Te Araroa trail gear list, which I've combined a little with my South West Coast path gear list (slight differences between the two). It would be a useful guide for any summer multiday tramping/hiking. You may also want to check out my planning page for Te Araroa trail.
Maps and Rescue
- Personal Locator beacon - Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB and registration for NZ
- Map phone app 1 - Guthook Te Araroa Hiker -...
Te Araroa Trail Gear
My big items of kit as follows:
- Pack - Lowe Alpine Airzone trek 45-55l
- Tent - Hilleberg Enan
- Pad - Thermarest Neo Air Xtherm
- Sleeping bag - Katabatic Gear Palisade quilt
- Stove - Jetboil flash
- Trekking Poles - Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork
Click here to see my full gear list
Testing my camping gear on an overnight hike
My second gear test for Te Araroa Trail took me further afield than my garden, for a hike and overnight stay in Rotorua. My goals were to:
- Test my fitness over a distance of 35kms.
- Walk for the first time with a 12kg pack.
- Play with my Backcountry Navigator phone app.
- Check whether my tent was waterproof.
Before the trip, I found the appropriate map section on Backcountry...