Te Araroa Trail Gear List
Below is my Te Araroa trail gear list, which I've combined a little with my South West Coast path gear list (slight differences between the two). It would be a useful guide for any summer multiday tramping/hiking. You may also want to check out my planning page for Te Araroa trail.
Maps and Rescue
- Personal Locator beacon - Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB and registration for NZ
- Map phone app 1 - Guthook Te Araroa...
Te Araroa Trail Shoes
It's decided! - I will be starting Te Araroa with my lightest Merrell trail runners (on the far right) and I will see how they survive 90 mile beach & the mud-fest of the Northland Forests.
If they are all good I'll get a 2nd and 3rd pair. If they fall apart after 14 days it'll be back-up plan b, c or d :-)
Te Araroa Trail Countdown
Five weeks to kick off and prep still to do:
- Study the route, sort resupply points, pack resupplies
- Blitz, dehyrdate and pack 5 mths’ worth of veggies (yes really)
- Decide which shoes to take! I’ve broken in 4 pairs – dilemma..!
- Download music & audio books
- Check out house-sitting opportunities for Xmas in Nelson