Te Araroa Trail Gear List
Below is my Te Araroa trail gear list, which I've combined a little with my South West Coast path gear list (slight differences between the two). It would be a useful guide for any summer multiday tramping/hiking. You may also want to check out my planning page for Te Araroa trail.
Maps and Rescue
- Personal Locator beacon - Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB and registration for NZ
- Map phone app 1 - Guthook Te Araroa...
After reading this timely reminder from Outside Online magazine, I'll definitely be taking paper maps on Te Araroa trail too!
Does our reliance on technology makes the backcountry more dangerous? Share your comments below.
Te Araroa Trail Technology
Here's a quick sumary of the technology I'll be taking with me on the trail:
- Samsung Galaxy 8 phone, which I will use for gps, maps, trail notes, camera, music and audio books.
- Apps that I'll be using are the Guthook TA Hiker, Backcountry Navigator topo maps - with a gpx file of the TA route downloaded, Met Service and Tide times etc.
- Anker Powercore+ 10500 battery pack - gives appr 3 full charges.